Thursday, December 29, 2016

Egungun







in 2006 or so i imagine. i no longer remember the date and time, i saw ella andal's warrior awake video. and was inspired to create a jouvert band of ;warriors'/ but the costumes were to be the pierrot grenade form, but for different sections, like say , east indians, the fabric would be of indian shreds and strands, silk, cotton, iconic acknowledged fabric. the african section would use african fabric strands, from all over the contintent. other groups , like say first peoples, would use fabrics iconographic to their history, and so on, chinese, etc.
only now, tonight, when someone told me they do not see me, but they see an ancient, an old slave woman, and that I am very ancestral, walking with many, and that is not the first time the latter was said to me, that i asked no questions, said i would come home and research it. I did not even have the proper spelling.
but imagine my surprise to see imagery of egungun and it is what? emulating the very exact same idea and pattern for the costumes I had envisioned / there are no mistakes.
when chase told me in some sort of trance that I am walking with all my past lives and they are my ancestors. it all comes together.
when i am asked how is it I am able to withstand so much trauma and not be walking the road mad and naked, I had no answer, but now I do. I am the strength of too many to be ever brought down or low.
and i also keep realizing the attacks that come up against me because of that strength. kind of wild. while i listened to the conversation about me, I thought of harriet tubman and wondered, if i was her too.
i got into a moment of force tonight that literally has me spent and demolished. i know whence from my rage. It is a long time since I have gotten to that level but it is for the carrying of too much
#theforcecollectiveofancestors
with every strand of fabric

i now understand clearly my connection to Olutosin/
the work she does, weaving, and creating clothing, accessories, items, art, wall hangings from multiple pieces of left over fabrics is the work of gathering the bones, egungun. and when i write gathering the bones, I think of my sister Edwidge, if only i knew then when i sat in her home having tea and vittles, what i know now...
the ancestors, and the women as keepers of the ancestral hearth




Right: Children maskers playing "Pierrot Grenade" at Carnival in Trinidad. The etymology of this costume can be traced to African Egungun and European Harlequin (commedia Harlequin historically played in blackface, the "rags" become triangular patches). At bottom:   a mummer in whiteface (blackface has been banned for 40 years) at the Philadelphia's Mummer's Parade, January 2011.

source:  http://performancetheory.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_23.html








Today served a mighty purpose. TwoHugeFOld:
1. To impress upon Carla the weight of the need to marshall
her forces and the prime minister to help me gain significant employment

2. For me to learn of my ancestral tome and carry. Egungun

There are no mistakes



No comments:

Post a Comment